Saturday, October 17, 2009

One way to celebrate...

One of the things I appreciate most about my friends at work is that they do some kooky stuff. Some of it makes me shake my head, some of it makes me glad I get to live vicariously through them.

This week I experience a bit of the latter. It was Tom's birthday, you see, and there was nothing he wanted more than to travel back to a little bakery called Three Tart. It's in a little strip mall near our old office and, since they have yummy sandwiches, salads and, yes, tarts, we'd eat there every so often. What they're best known for, though, is their beautiful cakes.

It has long been Tom's birthday wish to just face plant in one of those glorious cakes and then take in the shocked expressions of the Northfield ladies who lunch. This year, that wish was granted.

As you'll see from the pictures, the chocolate buttercream frosting did not have as much of a mess-factor as we had all hoped, but the act did lead to many a raised eyebrow. One woman even came up to our table to ask if Tom had lost a bet.

A little odd? Sure. But it was a lot of fun and an experience I was glad to be a part of since I can't ever imagine planting my own face in pastry. :-)


[before...the cake was plain looking but decadent]



[during...see the look on the guy's face in the back?]



[after...oh Tom!]



[also after...check out the imprint of his nose]