Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hipsters

Don't let the title of this post fool you... This is not an entry on the 20 somethings taking over Chicago's Pilsen area as we speak.

Last night, Heath and I joined Keith and Micah for a screening of "Hipsters," one of the movies entered into Chicago's International Film Festival.



The official movie synopsis is this:
Moscow, 1955. Soviet uniformity is the order of the day, but incurring the wrath of all the grim-faced comrades in Russia isn't enough to stop a group of young "hipsters" from donning outrageous threads, puffing up their pompadours, pushing up their cleavage, throwing back martinis, and shakin' their hips. Could this romantic, infectiously fun musical be this year's Slumdog Millionaire?

I hate to admit it, but I was initially skeptical that this would be worth the $12 admission. I was wrong.

A little long and loose at the end, it was actually a lot of fun. The music was great, certain characters really leapt off the screen and it did leave us with something to think about and discuss at the end. Subtitles and all, it was great.


3 comments:

Sarah said...

Reminds me of Swing Kids!

dena said...

Yes, but IS it this year's "Slumdog"?

Heath and Thais said...

This is where I have to pitifully admit that neither Heath nor I have seen "Slumdog Millionaire," so we really can't judge.