Monday, October 13, 2008

26.2 | Holy Crap

So, I finally did it — 2 years and 7 hours after I first decided a marathon sounded like a good idea.



Marathon weekend was fun, terrible and exhilarating all at once. It was hot (86°) and I was injured (I tweaked my knee on my last training run) but thanks to Heath, Violet, my mom, and a fantastic cheering squad...I finished.

I can't thank Sarah, Lenore, Susan and John enough for coming out and not just being with my family, but being my family on a very hot, difficult afternoon. John ran part of the race with me and Sarah actually crossed the finish line with me. It was all pretty emotional.

I love my husband for not only bringing Violet, but then bringing her along for the last 5 miles of the race, the three of us running together just when I needed the emotional support.

It was an experience...and one I will never, ever replicate. :-)

THE EXPO






THE MANDATORY CARB-LOAD THE NIGHT BEFORE
(pasta and bread pudding at Tuscany on Clark)






THE RACE













THE FINISH




11 comments:

Amy and Andrew said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I so admire your courage and perseverance. You go girl (from Andrew)!

Love the new blog look by the way...

Mackensey Carter said...

I am so proud of you Thais!!!

Sarah said...

Wow, Thais...good for you! I'm amazed at all you runners!

I like the new banner too.

Jessica and Adam Herndon said...

AWESOME!!! You persevered through all the crazy obstacles that tried to get in your way of finishing this crazy marathon in the past two years and you did it!! Congrats congrats! Love the pics...I feel like I was almost there with you and wish I could have been. Cant wait to catch up with you next week and hope you're not too sore today! XOXO

Jeff said...

Very inspiring, congratulations!

Alli said...

Congratulations, Thais!

Melin said...

Wow You GO Girl, congrads on the finish, a heck of a lot of running, training and endurance,your a much better person than me, they would have carried me across on a stretcher, WOW, KUDOS!!, Love ya Melin, (ps) your ears should have been ringing... it was cabin weekend and we were all wishing you and Heath were there with us! Love Melin and Brad

Tania P. said...

Dear Thais, heat and Violet,
first of all, thank you so much for the wonderful weekend, i loved meeting all your friends, they are really a great group of friends, congratulations.
well Thais what can I say? one more time you show that you are a winner, iam so proud of you, getting to the finish line is not for evrybody, it takes a lot of courage, perseverance and pain, but you did a great job. love, mom

Tania P. said...

sorry Heath about miss spelling your name, i love you and you know that. mom tania

Tiara Pietrangelo said...

Not only are you incredible for finishing an entire marathon run, but you looked hot doing it! You're amazing, wish I could have been there to see you! Love you and you inspire me!!!

Tania P. said...

HI THAIS, HEATH AND VIOLET
WOW!!!!WHAT A VICTORY!OBAMA MADE US PROUD, NOW THE JORNEY BEGINS.
WELL I WANT TO SAY THAT IAM VERY PROUD OF MY SON IN LAW, HE IS A BREAD BAKER NOW, I JUST HOLP HE BAKES ME SOME BREAD NEXT TIME I VISIT. BY THE WAY HIS BROWNIES ARE TO KILL FOR.
LOVE YOU ALL AND LOOKING FORWORD TO SEE SEE YOU NEXT MONTH. LOVE, MOM